Continuing Education Credits We Can Offer
Category A NC Psychology credit
- This credit is for Masters or PhD prepared and licensed professionals in the field of Psychology. Category A requirements can be met through attendance at formally organized courses, seminars, workshops, symposiums, and postdoctoral institutes; or through completion of on-line or correspondence courses. Topics for Category A requirements fall within the following areas
- ethical and legal issues in the professional practice of psychology, and
- the maintenance and upgrading of professional skills and competencies within the psychologist's scope of practice. This includes, but is not limited to, training in empirically supported treatments, the application of research to practice, and training in best practice standards and guidelines. 18 hours are required every two years with 3 hours being in ethics. Psychologists must attend the entire program to receive credit. They must sign in at the beginning of the program and at the completion of the program.
CME (Continuing Medical Education)
- Wake AHEC is accredited by the North Carolina Medical Society (NCMS) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. In 2013, Wake AHEC was accredited with commendation by NCMS.
- All participants receive contact hours for the time they participate in a program. Many licensure boards accept contact hours including social work, nursing, counseling, psychology, marriage and family therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, etc. Contact your licensing board for specific questions.
Continuing Education Units (CEU)
- The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a nationally recognized measure of participation in an approved non-credit continuing education program. One Continuing Education Unit (1.0) is defined as: "Ten contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction."
- Area Health Education Center, NC (AHEC) is designated as an Approved PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing education programs of this program provider are accepted by AGD for Fellowship, Mastership and membership maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from 10/01/2012 to 09/30/2016. Provider ID#217248
Early Childhood / Childcare
- Wake AHEC provides continuing education for early childhood/childcare professionals in cooperation with the Division of Child Development and Early Education.
IBLCE - International Board of Lactatioin Consultant Examiners
- This credit is used for certifying practitioners in lactation and breastfeeding care.
National Board for Certified Counselors Credit (NBCC)
- This credit is for professional counselors, including National Certified Counselors (NCC) and Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC).
North Carolina Infant Toddler Personnel Certificate credit
- This credit is for professionals who serve infants and toddlers under the NC Infant-Toddler Program. It applies to CDSA personnel as well as public and private providers of special instruction services and early intervention service coordination. All individuals pursuing initial certification must earn all the required credits within a 3 year period. Competencies are required in seven areas including Child Development, Family Development, Screening and Assessment, Interdisciplinary Family Service Planning, Intervention Strategies, Interagency and Community Process, and Professionalism and Ethics.
- Wake AHEC, Nursing Education, is an Approved Provider of continuing nursing education by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Wake AHEC provides continuing education for pharmacists in cooperation with the University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy.
- Wake AHEC is a pre-approved provider for NCBPTE Continuing Competence Activities.
Public School Personnel Renewal credit (PSPR)
- This credit is for anyone working in the public school system including teachers. Each school district grants renewal credit based on their own rules and regulations. Any public school employee should receive permission from their school district prior to attending any continuing education program. Appropriate paperwork is given to the participants desiring this credit and you are responsible for submitting to your credentialing body.
Speech Language Pathologists
- Wake AHEC provides continuing education for Speech Language Pathologists.
Substance Abuse Counselor Certification (SAC)
- This credit is for substance abuse professionals that have the license of CSAC, LCAS, CCS, and CSAPC. 60 hours of continuing education is required with 30 hours being Substance Abuse Specific (SAS). Three hours must be in ethics and 6 hours on HIV/AIDS/STDS. All training must be approved by the board.
- Others may be available upon request.